Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Break Knitting


Happy Saturday. Today is absolutely beautiful, and I have been busy working on KAL stuff. I finished my Springtime Bandit KAL with the Odd Ducks KAL/CAL on Ravelry. I have to say that I really like the finished product. Above is a picture. I had some stash yarn I bought from the Coldwater Alpaca Ranch a few years back. I kept telling Cathy (ranch owner) that I was going to knit it up and show her what I made, but it didn't happen until I came acrossed this KAL. The alpaca yarn was perfect for this project. I think it was her herd blend, but I have to check.
As I review this pattern, it was a pretty easy knit. It is a very simple lace pattern that is a joy to work through. Once you get started, it doesn't require much attention. I personally had trouble remembering all of the yarn overs, but that is a problem I often have. I recommend this pattern if you are looking for a lace project that doesn't use lace weight yarn. I also think this would be beautiful if you made it with a aran weight, hand spun yarn. There should be many examples on the Odd Ducks KAL/CAL page once the month is over.

As you may guess, I am working on lowering my stash (aren't we all?). As of today, it is pretty sizable. I decided to start the "In Dreams" KAL on Ravelry (Lord of the Rings KAL group). I remembered buying some beautiful amethyst yarn at Hank of Yarn last year, so I went stash diving today and found it. I now have to find the right beads to match it and start that project. I was drawn to the idea of knitting pieces that were inspired by the J.R.R. Tolkein series and was also looking for a beautiful, intricate piece to work on. I have not beaded in the past, so I will be learning a new skill as well. I like to jump in with both feet, and this piece has 5,000 beads on it. I guess I will be a beading pro when I am done (or an anti-beader, I am not sure). I am looking forward to a beautiful finished product.


Another KAL I joined was the Min Knits KAL for her "Gracious Tam." I also found some stash yarn for this KAL. It is some miscellaneous lavender yarn I had in stash from Pattern Works, I guess I am on a purple kick today. I haven't done a tam in awhile, so it will be a fun little project.

As I progress through my knitting adventures, I hope to also keep up with this blog. I am not very good at keeping up with stuff, as you can see from my previous blogs, but I will try to do what I can. Until we meet again in the blogosphere, I wish you happiness in your knitting adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment