Saturday, March 19, 2011

This Week in Fiber

Well, I have made some progress this week. I finished my Gracious Tam by MinKnits from her KAL on Ravelry (picture around here somewhere). I love the pattern, but did not love my yarn choice. Bretton by Patternworks is better suited for a project that needs a stiff composition. I will probably use the rest for a bag. As for the pattern, I think this would be an excellent chemo hat project to donate for spring, summer, or fall due to the laciness of the pattern. I will likely make another one in a different yarn once I come acrossed one more suitable.
Due to the fact that this was spring break, I had time to do many projects that I usually would not have time to do (happy dance). I was able to block my Chinook shawl that I knit back in September. I purchased it a couple years back as a kit from Knit Picks. I don't know why I waited so long, but it is beautiful. OK, bad me, I didn't take a picture of it. One will follow later.
I received my fiber for the Knit Girllls' SAL/KAL(http://www.theknitgirllls.com/wordpress/) from Tempted. I highly recommend her BFL roving dyed in your favorite colors. Give her a holler over on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/temptedyarns?ref=pr_shop_more. I have to see how much yarn I make from 4 oz before I choose the KAL pattern. I am excited to get this project started. So excited, in fact that I finished two colors I have been working on. One is Black Jack naturally black 100% alpaca fiber from Coldwater Alpaca Ranch (http://www.coldwateralpacaranch.com/). I am mixing in some crystal firestar to make it shimmery. I also spun up some fall colored fiber that I purchased at Wool, Warp, and Wheel in Richmond, IL (http://woolwarpandwheel.com/). I am one step closer to finishing up those two colors, but I needed to clear the bobbins for the SAL. The rest will have to wait.
The saga of the beads for the In Dreams KAL goes on. I went up to my local bead shop and picked out beads. Once they are in, I will start my journey there and back again. If you get a chance, Susan Pandorf of Sunflower Designs is donating 10% of her profits to Japan relief and other charities. Her patterns are beautiful, and you will be helping a great cause. You should take the time to browse her site. http://afewstitchesshort.blogspot.com/
Finally, I received my Interweave Knits Spring 2011 edition a couple weeks back, and I decided to make the Pinkerton Shawl by Susan Dittrich out of some yarn I purchased at the Knutty Knitter in Yazoo City, MS. It is Cherry Tree Hill Supersock yarn in the Caribou Creek colorway. I finished the first 22 lines of this pattern. It is going to be a long one since it is on size 4 needles and made out of fingering weight yarn. I am sure I will love it when it is done, and the pattern is ideal for knitting when you are at a knit-in or other social knitting event.
Yesterday, I found out an interesting fact. Signature Needles are made in my hometown, Kenosha, WI. The president of the company used to be my parents' neighbor. It is a small world, apparently. It makes me more proud to use their needles. Not only are they beautiful, purchasing them helps the local economy of my hometown. Go K-town.
That is all for this week. Live well, love others, and find time for your daily fiber. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment